County Council Branding

Motor Tax Refunds

You may be able to claim a refund of Motor Taxation in certain limited circumstances such as:

  • Vehicle stolen and not recovered
  • End of Life Vehicle
  • Vehicle Exported
  • Vehicle not used in a public place at any time since the issue of the vehicle licence
  • Vehicle not used due to registered owners illness / injury
  • Vehicle unused because the registered owner was absent from the State for business / educational purposes or overseas service with the Defence Forces

What documents do I need to submit to my local motor taxation office to apply for a refund

  • Form RF120 – available at
  • Vehicle Licence* (tax disc)
  • Vehicle Registration Certificate*

*If destroyed, lost or submitted to your insurance company Form RF134, available at should also be submitted.

Supporting Documentation required if:

  • End of Life Vehicle
    • Certificate of Destruction


  • Vehicle Stolen and not recovered
    • Incident Report from An Garda Síochána
    • Written confirmation from your insurance company detailing the theft and confirming settlement of the claim.
  • Vehicle Exported
    • Written confirmation from Customs or new Registration Authority regarding registration number, chassis number and date of export
  • Vehicle not used since issue of tax disc
    • Letter confirming the circumstances of non use
    • Written confirmation from your insurance company detailing the removal of insurance cover from your vehicle
  • Vehicle not used due to registered owners illness or injury
    • Written confirmation from a Doctor / Consultant confirming your medical incapacity from driving a vehicle. The relevant period of incapacity from driving should also be stated.
  • Vehicle not used due to absence from the State
    • Written confirmation from an educational body, business or other suitable evidence confirming the relevant period of absence from the State

In all cases the motor taxation office in its absolute discretion may require additional information in relation to an application for a refund of motor taxation

Please note that at the time of making an application for a refund of motor taxation your vehicle licence (tax disc) should have not less than three months before the expiry of the licence (tax disc).



RF120 Form - Application for Refund of Motor Tax pdf, 66kb