Athlumney, which is situated on the east bank of the river Boyne, is home to Athlumney castle. Athlumney castle was built by the Dowdall family. When first built, it comprised of a mid fifteenth century tower house, it was then enlarged in the 1630’s by the adding on of a mansion.
In 1649 when Cromwell was attacking Drogheda, the Maguires, who occupied the castle, set fire to it to prevent Cromwell from getting any shelter there. Nearby are the ruins of a 14th century manorial church with triple belfry.