Welcome to Meath Tourism
 
 

Bective

On the west bank of the river Boyne near Trim are the ruins of Bective Abbey, the first daughter house of Mellifont, In 1195, the head of Hugh de Lacy went to St. Thomas¹ Abbey, Dublin. The headless trunk was re-interred at Bective Abbey. The two abbeys were in dispute over the possession of the complete remains and in 1205, the Pope had to appoint a conclave of relates and "other discreet and venerable persons".

On the west side of the Boyne near the little Clady River there are the ruins of the 13th century Clady Church.

Things to Do

Meath Heritage Trail

back to top

print icon Print this page

 

 
 Meath Tourism Ltd, County Hall, Railway Street, Navan, County Meath
 tel: +353 (0) 46 9097060, fax: +353 (0) 46 9097001, email: info@meathtourism.ie

 Website Managed by Meath County Council, County Hall, Navan, Co. Meath, Ireland
 tel: +353 (046) 9097000, fax: +353 (046) 9097001, email: info@meathcoco.ie
 Privacy Statement| Disclaimer | Copyright | Contact Us | Powered by TERMINALFOUR