Julianstown as we see it today could be described as a planned village dating from the 19th century but there are references to a parish in the area dating back to the 13th Century. At that time it was called Aney; it later became known as Julianstown perhaps called after Juliana Preston from Gormanston. Alternatively the name may have come from Juliana wife of William Fitzherbert who was in dispute over the lands of Aney in 1227.
The earliest reference to the parish of Julianstown appears shortly after the Norman invasion. Hugh De Lacey held lands in Meath where he divided his estate among his barons. Lands were then granted as endowments on which the early Church of Ireland, St. Mary’s Julianstown was built.
The River Nanny was an important fatcor in the development of Julianstown, both as a location for a crossing point and for the many mills that were built along its banks.
A battle was fought at Julianstown on 27 November 1641, as part of the 1641 Rebellion, in which the Irish forces were victorious.
Julianstown is mainly agricultural. Limestone is prevalent but the quarries that mined it no longer operate. The presence of the lime kiln in the village harks back to a more industrial time. An important part of Julianstown heritage is the history of milling. In the 19th century fourteen mills operated along the Nanny either flax or cornmills. The Old Mill which occupied a prominent position on the banks of the Nanny and central to the village was shown on an Ordnance Survey map in 1837.
Download the brochure below for more details about the village and its history, and a map to navigate around.
Points of Interest on the Trail:
1. Swiss Cottages
3. Garda Barracks 1903
4. The Old Mill
5. The Julianstown Bridge
6. Nanny River / Lime Kiln
7. St Mary’s Church of Ireland
9. Ballygarth Castle
10. Iron Age Mound at Ninch
11. The Old Village of Corballis
12. Ballygarth Dovecote
13. The Cross of Sarsfieldstown
14. The Chapel in
15. Dardistown Castle
16. St Mary’s Church Dimanistown
Julianstown is located on the R132 (the former N1), 9km from Balbriggan and 6km from Drogheda, exit 7 from the M1 motorway. Visitors at the City North Hotel can link into the Julianstown Heritage trail via the Cockhill/Preston Hill road passing Stamullen school on the right or vice versa from Julianstown to Stamullen via Moorechurch road.