Julianstown as we see it today could be described as a planned village dating from the 19th century but there are references to a parish in the area dating back to the 13th Century. At that time it was called Aney; it later became known as Julianstown perhaps called after Juliana Preston from Gormanston. Alternatively the name may have come from Juliana wife of William Fitzherbert who was in dispute over the lands of Aney in 1227.
The earliest reference to the parish of Julianstown appears shortly after the Norman invasion. Hugh De Lacey held lands in Meath where he divided his estate among his barons. Lands were then granted as endowments on which the early Church of Ireland, St. Mary’s Julianstown was built.
Download the brochure below for more details and map.