Primary School Service
Your local library provides a wide range of resources and activities which strongly support primary schools in developing children’s literacy, numeracy, creativity and communication skills.
We also have a dedicated Primary Schools Library service which is administered from Library HQ.
The Range of Library Services offered to Primary Schools are:
- Class visits to your library branch
Your local library will accommodate class visits from your school to the library, arranged locally in advance.
- A teacher’s card made available to every teacher in the school
Each primary teacher in your school is entitled to receive a teacher’s card, on request, from your library service. The card enables a teacher to borrow items for his/her class.
- A presentation on the library service may be available on request
We can provide a presentation on the library services on request and at a time agreed with the school principal, as part of in-service training, or at your school to teachers, pupils or parents.
- A range of relevant library resources and services provided to your school
The services available to your school include the provision of:
-Reading and curriculum support materials
-Online learning resources
-Resource and reference support for school projects in response to teacher requests
- Reading spaces available within your library branch
A reading space for children is available in all libraries as well as access to electronic resources.
- Reference and research guidance provided to pupils for their project work
We can provide reference resources and research assistance to pupils and teachers for school project work.
- Resources for parents to strengthen children’s literacy and numeracy skills
Parents can be introduced to the range of library resources and activities available to support their children’s literacy and numeracy skills development
- Library programmes and initiatives ongoing and during school holiday periods
We provide ongoing library programmes and initiatives throughout the year, including an annual summer activities’ programme, to support the continuing development of children’s literacy and numeracy skills.
- Local History
Our local studies department can provide access to a wide range of historical material about your local area, including maps, photographs, documents and information.