Homeless Service

Homeless Service

Information for tenants in Meath who receive a Notice to Quit and meeting the needs of those who find themselves without a home

Information for tenants in Meath who receive a Notice to Quit

Home for Good

If you are homeless, rough sleeping or at risk of homelessness, and your last permanent address is situated in Meath County Council local area, contact the Homeless Service Unit directly at 046-9097297 and you will be offered an appointment with our Settlement Officers.

Opening Hours: 9am to 1pm and 2pm to 5pm (Monday to Friday)

What does the initial assessment involve?

The Initial Assessment involves:

  • Establishing accommodation history
  • Establishing causes of homelessness;
  • Establishing eligibility for settlement services and/or emergency accommodation;
  • Establishing support needs;
  • Establishing if you are registered or eligible to register with a local authority for social housing support.

What service does the Settlement Service provide?

The settlement service is a specialised service that supports  people who are homeless or at risk of homelessness. Recognising that homelessness is a complex issue, the service is operated on a case management basis, in line with government policy. The settlement service identifies what support needs (if any) are required by homeless individuals/households, and brokers services to address each of their support needs.


As part of our interagency protocol, referrals can be made from other professionals to the service. Please contact our offices for further information if you have a service user that may qualify for settlement services.

Who provides the Assessment and Placement Service?

The Settlement Service of Meath County Council provides the service. If you have a local connection to one of the other Local Authorities you must present directly to that Authority.

What do I need to bring with me?

You will need to bring a form of photo identification i.e. passport; driver’s licence etc., proof of income and proof of last permanent address.

If you are aged under 18 years, who do I contact?

Tusla has responsibility to respond to your needs if you are homeless and aged under 18 years. A social worker with the Tusla will help you. If you become homeless or are at risk of homelessness, you need to contact your local Tusla office.

If contacting after 5pm (i.e. the local area health office is closed), you need to go to your local Garda Station and the Gardaí will contact the on-duty Social Worker for the Tusla Area so that emergency accommodation and supports can be arranged.

Are you renting and worried about losing your home?

There is a dedicated freephone advice line operated by Threshold in County Meath. You can contact this number if any of the following Tenancy issues:

  • You are being asked to leave rented accommodation before the lease is up
  • It is time for renewing your lease, but you are worried about being able to pay
  • Your Landlord is selling or reaquiring the home

Telephone 1800 454 454

Dispute Resolution for Tenants and Landlords

The Residential Tenancies Board (RTB) provides a dispute resolution service for tenants and landlords (including approved housing bodies).

Telephone 0818 30 30 37

The Mid-East Homelessness Action Plan

The Housing (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 2009 in Chapter 6 provides on a statutory basis for the establishment of a homelessness consultative forum or joint forums and the appointment of a Management group. The Act also provides a comprehensive statutory framework for the making and adoption of Homelessness action plans, implementing a recommendation in the National Homeless Strategy “The Way Home” which was published in August 2008.

Section 40 of the Act provides for the drafting and adoption of homelessness action plans within specified time periods, publication and circulation of the adopted plan and procedures for undertaking a review of a plan or preparing a new plan. As required under the terms of the Act, the plan has now been adopted by the three relevant local authorities in the Mid East Region, namely Meath, Kildare & Wicklow and submitted to the Department of the Environment, Heritage & Local Government.

For full details of this plan, please download the full document from the link below.

For further details on this plan or any matter relating to homelessness, please contact the Housing Department 

Mid-East Homelessness Action Plan

Expressions of Interest – Emergency Accommodation (On or Before Friday, April 28th 2023)

Meath County Council is seeking expressions of interest from Proprietors of Guest Accommodation who wish to have their facility or rooms therein, included in the Council’s list of Emergency Accommodation for homeless families and individuals.

Family and single rooms may be required to meet emergency accommodation needs as they arise.

Proprietors will:

  • Provide catering and laundry facilities for clients

Meath County Council will:

  • Nominate clients as required
  • Pay agreed fee

Submissions should detail type of accommodation, number of rooms to be included, price per night/week/month and confirm catering and laundry facilities availability.

The Expression of Interest Application form can be found below and should be submitted to homeless@meathcoco.ie for the attention of the Senior Executive Officer on or before Friday 28th of April 2023.

Any panel that may be formed will be for 2023/2024 placements.