Taxonomy List

Do you need Planning Permission?

You generally need to apply for planning permission for any development of land or property. However, some works do not need planning permission and are called exempted developments.

Please note that you may also require a licence for events, appliances, hoarding, scaffolding, street furnishing and signage.

What do we mean by development?

This includes building, demolition, or alterations on land or buildings, and the making of a material (i.e. significant) change of use of land or buildings.

Planning and design guidelines can be accessed below

Short Term Letting

From 1 July 2019, it will no longer be possible to rely on exempted development provisions to let, under short-term letting arrangements, a house or rooms in a house, that is not a person’s principal private residence. Planning permission will be required in such a case for a formal change of use.  ‘Short-term letting’ will be defined as ‘the use of a bedroom or bedrooms in a home as paid overnight guest accommodation for a continuous period of up to two weeks’.

Read More