Short Term Letting

Short Term Letting

From 1 July 2019, it will no longer be possible to rely on exempted development provisions to let, under short-term letting arrangements, a house or rooms in a house, that is not a person’s principal private residence. Planning permission will be required in such a case for a formal change of use.  ‘Short-term letting’ will be defined as ‘the use of a bedroom or bedrooms in a home as paid overnight guest accommodation for a continuous period of up to two weeks’.

Where a house or apartment is a person’s principal private residence, they will be permitted to rent out a room (or rooms) within their home for short-term letting without restriction (e.g. B&B-type use) but will only be allowed to sub-let their entire house without planning permission on the short-term market for a cumulative period of 90 days or less annually.  Homes, apartments or larger housing developments which have a specific grant of planning permission for use as holiday accommodation / short-term letting will not need to rely on the above exempted development provisions or indeed notification procedures below.

Details of proposed exempted development provisions for homes

  • In general, a person will be able to let rooms in their own house or apartment (their principal private residence) year round without planning permission as per existing planning exemptions (this includes B&B’s).Houses and apartments will also be able to avail of a 90-day cumulative period per year exemption for short-term letting of the ‘entire home’ (i.e. for a period or periods of up to 2 weeks at a time, which add up to no more than 90 days in any calendar year).

However, to assist in the enforcement of these new rules by planning authorities, from 1 July 2019, in order to avail of these exemptions, either through letting rooms in their house or availing of the 90-day ‘entire house’ exemption, the host must inform the relevant planning authority in writing in advance of their intention to rely on the exemption, also confirming that the house is their principal private residence for the entire period of the exemption, and must provide at the end of each year details of the number of days and specific periods they relied on the 90-day ‘entire house’ exemption in that year. 

Further details

  • These policy reforms will be introduced through amendments to the Planning Regulations 2000-2018 as well as through a short piece of complementary primary legislation. 
  • The information submitted to the planning authority above will be held on a register.  These rules relate to planning law and will not affect any tenancy or management agreements which may already prohibit or regulate short-term letting of residential properties. The rules will also not affect any long-term residential tenancy or “rent-a-room” schemes.
  • In general, short-term letting will relate to residential property lettings (for tourism or otherwise) to different occupants for periods of 14 days or less. Residential letting periods for longer than 14 days shall not be considered to be ‘short-term letting’.

For the avoidance of doubt, these new provisions will not effect:

  • Normal house or apartment letting, or extended-stay accommodation, or rent-a-room schemes (i.e. for periods longer than 14 days).
  • Short-term letting/ holiday accommodation/ B&B accommodation where the house or apartment has planning permission for this use.

Enforcement and sanctions

Planning enforcement is a criminal, not a civil, matter: people not in compliance with these changes risk criminal conviction under the Planning Acts. Planning Authorities will be responsible for enforcement, seeking injunctions and for court actions.

Frequently Asked Questions

Answers to frequently asked questions are available on the department's website

Relevant Legislation

(S.I. no. 235 of 2019) Planning and Development Act 2000 (Exempted Development) (no.2) Regulations 2019