Change of Ownership

Change of Ownership

What to do in the case of a change of ownership of a vehicle

Vehicles registered since 01/01/1993:

Change of Ownerships for vehicles registered since 01/01/1993 are processed by the Department of Transport, Vehicle Registration Unit, Shannon, Co. Clare. The Vehicle Licensing Certificate / Vehicle Registration Certificate should be completed by the buyer and seller on the appropriate section of the document and forwarded to the Department of Transport. Please ensure that the Date of Sale is inserted in the space provided.

Vehicles registered before 01/01/1993:

Change of Ownerships of vehicles registered prior to 01/01/1993 is processed in the Motor Taxation Office. Form RF200 Notification of Transfer of Ownership - available at - should be completed by the buyer and seller. The Registration Book (brown book) must accompany Form RF200 and both should be forwarded to local Motor Taxation Office for processing. Please ensure Date of Sale is inserted in space provided.

Selling Your Vehicle To A Motor Dealer

If you sell your vehicle to a motor dealer, you have to complete a form RF 105, which is available from the motor dealer. The completed form should be returned to the Vehicle Registration Unit of the Department of Transport, (details below), while the Vehicle Licensing Certificate and Vehicle Registration Certificates are given to the motor dealer. 

Contact for Change of Vehicle Ownership

The Vehicle Registration Unit at the Department of Transport, deals with change of vehicle ownership. Contact them as follows:

Vehicle Registration Unit,
Department of Transport,
Co. Clare.

Tel: 0818 411 412


There is no charge for registering Change of Ownership details