Bellewstown Racecourse

Bellewstown Racecourse

Bellewstown racecourse, on the Hill of Crockafotha in Co Meath, is beautifully situated in a rural setting with magnificent views of the Mountains of Mourne to the north and the Irish Sea to the east.

Bellewstown Racecourse


We do not know exactly when racing started in Bellewstown, but the first record of races appears in the August edition of the Dublin Gazette and the Weekly Courier in 1726. George Tandy, a former Mayor of Drogheda and brother of the famous Napper Tandy, persuaded King George III to sponsor a race at Bellewstown in 1780. The race was called His Majesty's Plate and was valued at £100.


The Racecourse,


Co Meath, 

A92 EC82


By Road
Access to Bellewstown Racecourse is via the M1 Motorway, exiting at Julianstown/Drogheda South (Exit 7) to join the R132. Proceed in direction of Drogheda. Apple Green service station, Gormanstown, on right. Take immediate left turn signposted ‘Bellewstown’. Follow local signs for Bellewstown Racecourse. Bellewstown Racecourse is 37km from Dublin City Centre and 11km south of Drogheda.

By Rail
Access via Irish Rail at Drogheda Station, where services are more frequent. For details call: 1850 366222 or visit the Irish Rail Website

A local Taxi is the best way from the train Station to Bellewstown Racecourse.

A courtesy bus, Carroll’s Coach will leave Drogheda 1 hour before first Race from Old Abbey Car Park beside new Court House.
Depart Bellewstown half hour after Last Race.
Gates open at Bellewstown Racecourse 2 hours before First Race, each day.