When you are registered to vote in Ireland you may have the opportunity to vote in:
- Local elections (electing representatives to your local Council)
- National or general elections (electing representatives to the Dáil)
- European elections (electing representatives to the European parliament)
- Presidential elections (electing Ireland's President)
- Referenda (a vote by the People on a proposed amendment to the Constitution)
The system of voting in Ireland is 'Proportional Representation' which means that as a voter, you can indicate your first and subsequent choices for the candidates on the ballot paper.
Visit the Housing, Planning, Community and Local Government website for a Guide to Ireland's Voting System.
Information Leaflet on How Ireland’s MEPs are elected in various languages
Information Leaflet on the Register of Electors in Ireland in various languages