There are two main legislations regarding Dangerous Structures;
- The Roads Act 1993 which covers dangers or potential dangers to road users
- The Local Government (Sanitary Services) Act 1964 which is used to tackle dangerous structures away from roads and not posing danger to road users.
Under these Acts:
- The Local Authority can arrange inspection, and issue instructions to owners requiring them to make a structure safe.
- The Local Authority can in cases of immediate danger, carry out such repairs without notice to make a property safe.
Report a Dangerous Structure
If you wish to report a Dangerous Structure:
- Please contact Customer Services on (046) 909 7000 and advise them of the danger, the type of structure, the exact location and proximity to roadside.
- Customer Service will log this to the Municipal District Engineer for assessment to determine if immediate action it taken, if they deem it is not dangerous, and/or if it requires a full Structural Engineer inspection.
- If a Structural Engineer inspection is required this will be followed up by relevant section, Transportation Section deals with structures near roads, and Environment Section deals with other structures.