The disposal of waste by uncontrolled burning is an offence. Controlled Burning of Green Waste permission expired on 31st December 2022.
The Waste Management (Prohibition of Waste Disposal By Burning) Regulations 2009, allowing farmers to dispose of waste generated by agricultural practices by burning expired on 31st December 2022.
It is now an offence under the Air Pollution Act 1987, and the Waste Management Act 1996 as amended, to dispose of Agricultural waste such as bushes, branches and trees, etc by burning.
The alternative options for farmers, are that Green Waste:
- is reduced in accordance with best agricultural practice
- is reused where practicable
- is recycled through shredding and use as compost or wood chippings
- is salvaged for use as fuel where practicable
- is brought to an authorised Waste Facility Permitted sites for composting and recycling by authorised Waste Collection Permit holders.
Further details are available at www.nwcpo.ie