In September 2017 new Regulations were signed into law and providing for all tyre producer and retailers being members of REPAK an approved body for Tyres and for all producers to register with Producer Register Limited (PRL) an approved Registration body.
Other provisions of the Regulations include;
- The option to self-comply by registering with a Local Authority has been removed for all tyre economic operators – i.e. producers, retailers, waste collectors and tyre recovery operators.
- Farmers who wish to obtain tyres for the purposes of anchoring silage pits must now register Repak rather than the Local Authority- they cannot receive tyres from any person other than a waste collector who is registered with the approved body
- A visible Environmental Management Cost (vEMC) will apply to all tyres placed on the market in order to fund the environmentally sound management of waste tyres- payable by the producer and retailer from 1st October 2017.
- A vEMC of €2.80 and €1.50 ex VAT will apply respectively to all car and motor cycle tyres placed on the market from 1 October 2017. A charge of €6.70 and €11.00 (ex VAT) will apply respectively to light and heavy truck tyres from 1 January 2018.
- Retailers are prohibited from supplying waste tyres to anyone other than an authorised waste collector who is registered with Repak ELT.