On January 1st 2017, Meath County Council established a Vacant Sites Register which aims to identify sites within the County on residential or regeneration lands suitable for housing but not coming forward for development.
What is a Vacant Site?
The Urban Regeneration and Housing Act defines a vacant site as any land where:
- In the case of residential land (exceeding 0.05 hectares), there is a need for housing in the area, the site is suitable for housing and the majority of the site has not been in use (i.e. vacant) for an extended period of time
- In the case of regeneration land (other than residential land), the majority of the site has not been in use (i.e. vacant) for an extended period of time and where the fact that the site being vacant is having a negative impact on existing amenities or on the character of the area.
What information can be found on the Vacant Sites Register?
As set out in Section 8 of the Urban and Regeneration Housing Act 2015, each vacant site placed on the Register will include the following information:
- A description of any site in its functional area which was, in the opinion of the planning authority, a vacant site for the duration of the 12 months preceding the date of entry;
- Where the site comprises registered land, the folio details;
- The name and address of the owner;
- Particulars of the market value of the site (as soon as may be after it is entered on the Vacant Sites Register); and
- Such other information referred to in the Act that the Minister may prescribe.
Additional information in relation to dates and location will also be provided for ease of reference.
Where can I find out what Vacant Sites there are in County Meath?
The Vacant Sites Register is available for inspection at the Planning Counter Meath County Council Civic Offices, Buvinda House, Dublin Road, Navan, Co.Meath during normal opening hours. A spread sheet is included below.
For ease of reference, an on-line map viewer is also available.
For Further Information on Vacant Sites, please contact the Planning Department on (046) 9097500 or email email@example.com