The proposed development consists of:
- Preservation works to the former Spicers Bakery (Protected Structure RPS no. 90881)
- Change of use and extension of the existing office building into café/retail use with a stepped plaza, covered band stand and access paths. A single storey glazed extension is proposed to be added.
- Redevelopment of the existing Ramparts carpark area access points, with 64 car parking spaces and a bike stand which can accommodate 9 no. bikes.
- Demolition of the 4 terraced dwellings fronting the Kentstown road to provide a public plaza,
- The redesign of Andy Brennan Park to provide a public plaza, with stepped integrated seating areas, active urban park and bike stands to accommodate 9 no. bikes.
- Upgrade of the underpass of Somerville Bridge (Protected Structure RPS no. 90878) and to provide mobility upgrades to the existing steps to enhance links to Ramparts off the Athlumney Road.
The application site of circa 1.7 ha is located in Navan at Newbridge Athlumney on the R153 Navan to Kentstown Road south east of the confluence of the River Boyne and Blackwater. The area is circa 300m from the town centre and marks the start/end of the Ramparts walk along the River Boyne/Boyne Navigation.
A Natura Impact Statement has been prepared in respect of the proposed development.