Community Policing has Three Specific Aims
- To provide the people in the area with their own garda contact, someone with whom they can discuss everyday issues that arise in the area and build-up a strong and supportive personal relationship.
- To assist the residents of the area to prevent crime by supporting their efforts to promote Neighbourhood Watch, Community Alert and other crime prevention initiatives.
- To work with other social agencies in the area to help curb crime and vandalism in most urban areas and many rural communities.
It should be noted that while these gardaí are specifically assigned to community policing duties, all gardai have a role to play with regard to addressing community policing issues. Community policing is a fundamental policing philosophy that is not confined to a single unit.
Community policing occurs where Gardaí and members of the community and statutory and voluntary agencies work together to
- Prevent crime
- Prevent anti-social behaviour
- Reduce the fear of crime
- Promote inter-agency problem solving
- Bring offenders to justice
- Improve the overall quality of life