Dangerous Substance Licences

Dangerous Substance Licences

Dangerous substance licence types and how to apply for them

The Dangerous Substances Act states that the Minister for the Environment, Heritage and Local Government may make an order defining any substance that has the potential to damage person or property as a dangerous substance. If you are in possession of such a substance, you must apply to your local authority for a Dangerous Substances licence.

Those in possession of more than 60 litres of petrol, for example, must apply for a licence for that petrol. Applicants have to submit copies of Ordnance Survey maps of the area and architects' plans of the site and any buildings on the site to their local authority. This information is necessary so that the Fire Services can ensure that dangerous substances, most commonly large amounts of petrol at petrol stations and industrial sites, are stored safely and kept at a reasonable distance from other buildings.

Local Authorities charge a fee for licences under the Dangerous Substances Act.

A Dangerous Substance Licence is valid for 1, 2 or 3 years, depending on the type of application sought. The applicant should re-apply for a new licence 3 months prior to the lapse of existing licence.

Please note the definition of the following on application form:            

Class I:     Petrol
Class II:    Kerosene
Class III:   Diesel

The Fire Services also have a role in examining and testing dangerous substances such as petroleum to ensure compliance under the Dangerous Substances Act, 1972 and Dangerous Substances Regulations, 1979.

Apply for a Petrol Storage Licence

Apply for a Petrol Storage Licence online

Licences.ie Logo

Alternatively you can complete the application form below.

Application Forms and relevant details are listed below.  Please make cheques payable to Meath County Council and post to Navan Fire Station, Abbey Road, Navan, Co. Meath.  If you have any queries, please contact Navan Fire Station at 046-9051068.

A licence is only required for Class I Petrol but the quantities of Class II and III must be stated on the application form.

The primary legislation in this area is the Dangerous Substances Act 1972 (DSA 1972) and various regulations detailed in the subsequent Statutory Instruments as detailed as follows.

For further information on Retail and Private Petroleum Storage please see link below:


Rating Form
How would you rate this webpage?